Thursday, September 9, 2010

à Paris



I made it! Even after all that wishing and daydreaming and fretting and paperwork it still seems surreal that I'm actually here.

My first day was lovely. I met le Jumeau and a Parisian friend of his for lunch at a café on the Place d'Italie near my hotel and ate chicken for the first time in months! The friend had me try real French mustard, and let me tell you, Grey Poupon is barely related to this stuff, we're talking second cousins by marriage.

After that the exchange program had a tour of many of the monuments around town, and I got to see l'avenue des Champs Elysées for the first time (meh.) and the Arc de Triomphe, as well as Arche de la Défense. Then I fell asleep.

A big group of us had dinner at a pizza joint on avenue des Gobelins (love that name) and le Chef and I split a bottle of Sancerre and a pizza aux quatre fromages. Delicieux!

The real highlight of the day was meeting la Libellule's friend (I'll call him D.). He suggested we get a drink together, but upon discovering that Montparnasse is not the most exciting, we set off for the Eiffel Tower - on scooter! It was fantastic. We rode along the Seine passing monument after monument and the weather was perfect. Right when we pulled up next to la Tour Eiffel, the lights came, so it sparkled for a few minutes before we decided it was a bit too touristy and set off again (yay more scooter!) We settled on a cafe and talked for an hour or so and D. proved to be quite charming.

Now, I'm off to write an explication du texte :( But first thing tomorrow we have a field trip to le Palais Garnier home of the Opéra national!

Comment savoir que vous passerez une bonne journée:

1 comment:

  1. Hello! This is Steff, I found your blog through Ameya's, hope it's OK with you if I follow along. =)

    ReplyDelete